2021 Partner Projects
National Register of Historic Places Nomination for St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church
St. George’s Episcopal Church (601 N 4th St, Bismarck) was designed by local architect Herman Leonhard and built in 1949. It is noted for its remarkable stained-glass windows. Referred to as the “crown jewels” of St. George’s, they are the only known work of master craftsmen Barton, Kinder, and Alderson of Brighton, England in the United States and were made from glass salvaged from the wreckage of Anglican churches of England bombed during WWII. The National Register nomination was prepared by Metcalf Archaeological Consultants, Inc. with support from the congregation as well as from the Bismarck Historical Society and NPNHA and recognizes the significance of this building in the state’s history.
Partners: St. George’s Episcopal Memorial Church and the Bismarck Historical Society.