Restoration at the Former Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site
The Former Governors’ Mansion State Historic Site preserves a home built in 1884 by an early Bismarck businessman, Asa Fisher. The stately Stick-style Victorian mansion (320 E Ave B) served as the North Dakota Governors’ residence between 1893 and 1960. The newly-replaced cedar shingle roof was installed by E-Quality Contracting, under direction of the State Historic Preservation Office and recreates the original, bold aesthetic. Even the original lightning rod was able to be replicated, thanks to the dedicated work of the Society for the Preservation of the Former Governors’ Mansion and North Dakota State College of Science-Fargo.
Partners: State Historical Society of North Dakota, Society for the Preservation of the Former Governors’ Mansion, North Dakota State College of Science-Fargo.
Native Voices for the Custer House 30th Observance, 1989-2019
The NPNHA coordinated with United Tribes Technical College to invite Native historians and traditional knowledge keepers to share in public dialog and expand the point of view at the 30th anniversary observance of the reconstructed Custer House at Fort Lincoln State Park. Panelists on the Native Voices Discussion Panel offered trial perspectives on Native history. More than 1,000 visitors spent the day at the Park listening to speakers, participating in a Custer Trail hike, revisiting the Custer House, and engaging with reenactors interpreting the past.
Partners: North Dakota Parks and Recreation, United Tribes Technical College, and panelists Gerard Baker, Dakota Goodhouse, Donovin Sprague, Loren Yellow Bird, Sr., Tamara St. John, and Calvin Grinnell.